Tuesday 24 January 2012

Playing tourist and tagging along.

Each morning since I've been in Deutschland, once I wake up, I peer out the window by my bed to see if there is some sign of snow.. but unfortunately no luck. It has been -6.5 degrees with frost but no snow. The weather guide says snow by Friday, fingers crossed!


The last few days I've been my host families shadow, since I can't speak German they translate for me - I kind of feel incompetent and stupid, but i'll get there and be fluent in no time since I am attending an intensive German language course.


Monday - My host sister Susi showed me most of the sights of Rostock, the larger town near my home, which include the "sexual" fountain, the many churches, the wharf and the main street - very pretty. My favourite place was an old church built in the 1700s, it had freaky graves everywhere, brilliant paintings and a weird astrology clock with two faces which works up until 2014!






Tuesday - Slowly I am settling in and starting to be a normal German citizen (even though I can't speak a sentence in the native longue..) as I have received a German mobile, bank card, school ID and train/bus pass. I visited my school "Ecolea" today, it was unexpectedly modern and very small. There is only 400 student in the entire school and about 40 in my year. I was shown around by two students and another exchange student, they were very friendly and spoke to me in English which was nice. The exchange student (from Argentina i think) was very excited to not be the newbie and he offered to help me everything, even invited me to go out to a party or something on the weekend - very exciting.
Because I am in year 11, the school has allowed me to go on school camp to Italy in May to Venice and Verona with the rest of my year - for only 250 euros!


Also I found out about my Euro tours while over here.In April - May I am going to Dresden, Prag, Vienna, Venice, Rome, Innsbruck, Fuessen (New Schwanstein), Berlin, Munich and Regensburg. AND in Novemeber I am going on a trip to Paris :)


So far I'm content and excited for my adventure. Tomorrow I start my German course, I hope it isn't too hard..

No comments:

Post a Comment