Tuesday 14 February 2012

Fußball and nudity

Montag 13th Feb - My last German lesson at Inlingua, we just went over all that I had learnt and learnt some body parts, yay. Most are similar to English so it was quite easy. Finishing German lessons was kind of sad but very exciting as the lessons were extremely irritating as it made me feel like a 2 year old learning a language, and it was also very hard. I still can't understand much or talk in German but the lessons were just a start - I'll need to keep up some study and practice German in my spare time/at school.
At night I went with my host father to my first Fußball (soccer) experience! I have never been so nervous about soccer before.. my tummy was going insane, I so badly wanted to be able to play soccer and enjoy it like I do in Australia with my local girls team. Once at the sports hall the girls were waiting outside for the coach, speaking extremely fast German and all staring at me - very uncomfortable.. but what was even more confronting and uncomfortable was when i was ushered into the change room with the girls and all of a sudden I saw naked bodies everywhere!! I did not expect that.. in Australia we go to soccer training dressed in soccer gear, but not in Germany. Ok so I know that europeans are open with their bodies and all but I just wasn't prepared for nudity straight away hahaha. After quickly putting my shoes on and making as much eye contact as possible I was out of the change rooms and in the hall where things seemed more normal. Only German was spoken during training but that was fine as I just followed and watched then performed. The training consisted of ball skills, an intense cardio circuit and a small game. The whole training I could feel all 4 coaches (yes they are that pro, they have more than 1 coach) watching my every move to see if I was good enough. I felt like I performed really badly compared to all the other girls who were amazing soccer players! They had some much skill and speed -  after talking with some of the girls that knew little English I found out the team was opens; ranging from ages of 16-30 and that they were playing in a high level - My host dad said they are the best team in the area. After training the coach said I have "potential" and good skills, so i'm on the team!! Very exciting :)


Dienstag 14th Feb - Today I met with a German friend from school, Diertje, in Rostock for a coffee/chai tea :) It was really nice to have a girl to talk to and fill me in about school and also show me around a little bit. When at the cafe we bumped into Pauline another girl from school and joined her coffee date. Both the girls were very nice and welcoming, even though it must have been annoying for them to translate the conversation to English for me, which I am thankful for. 
In the afternoon my host family helped me find some of their old German children's books for me to read and learn some more basic German words from. Even though this made me again feel like a 2 year old it was kind of good to slowly read and understand the stories even if it is about a dog and a rooster being friends haha. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment