Sunday 19 February 2012

One month

I've been one month in Germany and it feels like yesterday I was squishing everything into my 20kg suitcase and preparing to come here. For a month I've been trying to adapt to the climate, the culture, the language and the food - I think I've failed. I still can't pick the right amount of layers to wear outside without overheating or freezing. I still can't get over how normal it is to get naked here. I still can't grasp the language as most of the words sound like jksfhv adhjvb asfhv. I still can't believe how much caffeine I've been having.


This past week has been Fußball Fußball Fußball.. my body is definitely not used to this routine! With training on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, I was pooped. I was even meant to go to training on Friday but instead I went to the Sandmann's (a rotary family) for dinner and a sleepover. 
The Sandmann's are the nicest family ever! Anne, the mum, calls me her daughter and I am "part of their family", so I feel really comfortable around them and the family also has children roughly my age, Thea 21 and Carl 20, though Carl wasn't there, he was in Poland (no biggie). I didn't realize before I went that the whole family was going to this dinner.. like cousins and aunts etc. So it was a big deal that I was invited, which was really cute. Thea's cousin and his best friend dressed up as chefs and cooked everything, I offered to help but was ushered out of the kitchen and give some wine.. it was their night to cook haha. For dinner we had a three course meal; bruschetta, a chicken apple dish, a white chocolate tiramisu and of course wine and schnapps.. the food was amazing! 



After dinner Thea and her cousins took me out; first visiting a cousins apartment and then clubbing at "stadtplatz" or something like that. I'm really surprised how late they go out here usually around 2am.. It's so tiring but great! At the club it was the weirdest thing though, on the dance floor people were dancing facing the dj like it was a concert or something haha it just looked so odd. After a lot of dancing we ventured home and I slept at Thea's house. In the morning we had breakfast with her friend and her baby, soooo cute! Overall it was a really good night and morning :)


Saturday during the day I went to Roy's house by myself and didn't get lost and bought a train ticket speaking German, so proud haha. Roy's host family are really welcoming and are lovely people, we ate waffles together and mostly talked in German. After that Roy, his host brother, Luca who is 20, and I went out to the city for dinner. It was really good night, talking and laughing about what Roy is going to experience on his family holiday next week... like seeing his family naked in a sauna and how he is going to deal with that haha. And also how Roy wants to live in the middle ages.. haha. Luca also showed us around Rostock but nothing was open as it is winter which sucks!

Sunday has been a very chill day, waking up late, having breakfast with my host parents and just relaxing. Tonight Susi and Hannes, host siblings, are coming over for dinner and that about it.
Tomorrow I am starting school which is pretty scary since everything will all be in German and my German is still really basic, plus I don't know many people but i'll be fine! Starting school again took me back to year 7 and my first days at high school in Australia and all my school friends, being the new kid again and thinking if it will be the same.. highly doubtful. But different is good so we'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment