Tuesday 31 July 2012

So many emotions.. Goodbye Roy!

Mittwoch 18 Juli - Roy's last Rotary meeting
Roy had made a powerpoint presentation about Argentina and his family,  and he presented it at his last meeting. It was a really good presentation and I surprisingly understood the majority of it. By the end Ulla was crying and i was a little bit upset as it hit me that from now on i'd be alone in Rotary meetings and actually have to talk to the Rotarians. We both wore our blazers like good exchange students and ate our last Rotary meal together; very pleasant. 


Donnerstag 19 Juli - Wismar day trip and Salsarico
My host aunty and uncle stayed with us for about 2 weeks and always did spontaneous day trips to different German towns. When they said they were going to Wismar I jumped at the opportunity and went with them. Wismar is a really old city with lots of history but unfortunately we couldn't see a lot since it was raining bucket loads! Silly German summer.. there seriously hasn't been sun for two days in a row, strange! We were only in Wismar for 3 hours due to the crappy weather, on my return to the lovely Rostock Roy and Annika were keen to have dinner out. Roy requested Salsarico mexican restaurant as he wanted one more burger from there before he left. So we had a pleasant dinner at Salsarico, Roy had his burger and we had tea/coffee at a hippy music shop afterwards - heaps chill.

Freitag 20 Juli - Insane soccer training!!

So from now on I am in the 1st grade soccer team, which is great as it will help my skills and fitness but it also sucks as it takes up so much of my week and it is so serious! The training is now a lot harder and pushes my body to the limit.. ab work, mini soccer games and skills, 5000m runs and 50m sprints - SO MUCH! By the last lap of running my body was dead and clumsy me fell over in a ditch. I ended up with a screwed ankle and bloody knee, great! This made me think about how much I wanted to continue soccer and if it is really taking up so much of my exchange, plus i don't have great friends in the team.. so maybe another option is to find another team closer to where I live and plays just for fun - i'll see.


Samstag 21 Juli - Caro's Mum and Grandma's Birthday party.
Caro asked Roy and myself if we'd like to go to her Mum and Grandma's joint birthday party (40th and 60th). Roy and I wanted to see Caro again so we simply said yes, without asking for the catch.. Roy and I ended up being photographer and DJ at the party - very interesting with drunk old Germans. The night was pretty fun as we played all our music and old music, danced together, ate lots and had a sleepover. Plus Caro's mum is adorable so we were pleased we went and celebrated with her.



Montag 23 Juli - Annika's "surprise" sleepover.
So we had this sleepover planned for about a week and since Roy and I heard nothing different we trekked it to Annika's house; it took us more than hour because we are retarded and took 1 train, 2 buses and walked for about 20 mins. Though little did we know that Annika had cancelled the sleepover because "no one" had replied BUT Roy and I verbally replied when we saw Annika earlier - since Roy and I are poor exchange students we didn't have an phone credit to technologically reply. In the end Roy and I turned up to Annika's all flustered due to the trek and Annika freaked out - very German! "The house isn't ready, i'm not ready"; spontaneous stopovers are well accepted haha but Roy and I stayed put, helped her clean and chilled her out. The night included cooking dinner; spagetti, watching movies, different gummi bears and interesting brownies. Ended up being an awesome night, heaps chill and to top it off Annika and I saw a shooting star together <3


Dienstag 24 Juli - Coming and slowly going :(
So pretty much this day involved me finishing Roy's video which I had been working on for over 1 week, meeting Roy at the beach and saving a spot for his going away beach party, partying it up at the beach, then coming home to meet Leon (my new host brother that got back from his exchange in Mexico). There isn't really much more to say apart from how sad it was to see Roy crying over all our German friends which broke my heart because he was crying and because in 6 months i'd have to do the same... and as the days ticked on I started to realize Roy wouldn't be with us for very much longer and that really hurt. But when I arrived home a little upset, I walked into Luca's room like always to see a new face and to receive a warm welcome - Leon was home! We talked as a family all sitting on Luca's bed hearing stories about Mexico and how great exchange is - extremely cute and made me feel more apart of the family. After hearing Leon's stories, thinking about Roy and Katie it dawned on me how unique exchange is and how everyone's exchange is different which makes it your own and so amazing - i'm truly the luckiest to have this opportunity :)



Mittwoch 25 Juli - Family Welcome and Goodbye party.
After helping clean the house, finishing Roy's video, making a pavlova and preparing myself for tears.. all of a sudden the house was full of rowdy Germans. The night involved; a really nice German bbq with a hint of mexican - Leon made some traditional tacos and salsa - a home made song from the Zeug's for Roy and Leon, being kids on the trampoline together, watching my video then going to Warnemunde for a midnight swim = fantastic evening! Reality still slowly hitting me as Roy said goodbye to the Zeug's and Laury... 1 day.


Donnerstag 26 Juli - The day had come... Goodbye Argentina.
2 hours travelling by car with the Kirstoff's (my third family - Roy's last) we made it to Berlin airport... the whole 2 hours I was trying to be sneaky about Caro and Maxi coming as well (they were a surprise) so I kept asking Roy details about his flight "to make sure he knew exactly" and so I could text them the details. Once at the airport it was just a waiting game, counting down the minutes until Roy left us.. though the game was cut short when Roy's flight jumped ahead by about half an hour. Our goodbyes were a little rushed but in a way that was good so we couldn't get overemotional, not that that didn't stop me. After about a 5 minute hug from Roy, I let him go because "baby birds must fly alone"... probably one of the most depressing things I have had to do in my life so far. I'm so grateful that Caro and Maxi were there to get me through it/ take me camping with them to distract me from everything that just happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment